The primary responsibility for this role is being the R&D-wide expert in carbohydrates. We are looking for a person specialized in chemistry and/or biochemistry of carbohydrates, someone who has broad knowledge of chemical and material properties of carbohydrates, hands-on expertise in methods of modification and characterization of their properties, and is comfortable applying this knowledge and expertise to innovative food texture research. Solid understanding of polymer science is highly desirable, and specific experience in any of the following fields would be a plus: block copolymer self-assembly, polymer analogous reactions, enzymology.
She/he will be overseeing research projects relying on a combination of synthetic and material characterization approaches. The candidate will be expected to design and execute studies of self-assembly of carbohydrates and their interactions with their types of molecules, relying on a battery of structural (microscopy, light scattering, etc), rheological and thermo-mechanical measurements (using texture analyzers, rheometers, differential scanning calorimetry etc). They will also be expected to propose and execute projects studying the effects of modifications of molecular structure of carbohydrates on their properties. As a group leader, she/he would be supervising research associates and technicians, advising fellow scientists on the topics of hers/his expertise and broadly disseminating carbohydrate-related knowledge. She/he will be guiding RA’s research, helping with experimental designs and engineering solutions, and mentoring their scientific development.
Outside of the group, she/he will be expected to establish strong cross-functional interactions, in particular with the Discovery and Product Development and Commercialization teams. We are looking for a person who can generate ideas and convert them into successful experiments; someone who is a master of existing technology and a rigorous practitioner of scientific methods, but also one who can break through existing paradigms and truly innovate.
- Conduct research in the areas of materials and food texture, applying knowledge of carbohydrate chemistry and biochemistry
- Plan and execute projects directed at understanding interactions and self-assembly of carbohydrates, structure of carbohydrate-based materials and effects of changes in their molecular structure and interactions on their physicochemical behavior.
- As part of the projects described above, design and perform mechanical, thermomechanical, rheological and structural measurements using standard lab equipment (e.g. microscopes, rheometers, calorimeters, light scattering), as well as devices customized and built in-house.
- Design and perform studies modifying molecular properties of carbohydrates, employing chemical synthesis, and enzymatic and other types of polymer analogous reactions
- Lead a group of research associates and technicians, helping them design and execute experiments, analyze data and present conclusions to the broader group.
- Actively participate in creating new food prototypes advising other researchers on target texture parameters
- PhD. in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Food Science, Material Science, Physics, Physical Chemistry.
- 3+ years of experience in carbohydrate-related research.
- Hands-on experience in synthetic and/or enzymatic chemistry of carbohydrates
- Extensive knowledge of concepts of polymer science is highly desirable
- Substantial experience designing and performing mechanical and rheological measurements is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to generate novel ideas, articulate them clearly and design experiments testing these ideas