The primary focus for the Land Protection Legal Intern is to prepare and submit land dedication paperwork to the Wisconsin DNR. Working with TNC land protection and legal staff and DNR staff, the intern gathers information on TNC tracts of land and drafts and submits the dedication paperwork. There may also be opportunities to assist with land acquisition paperwork and processing and land protection planning for TNC’s Midwest Division. This is a hands-on project that gives the intern exposure to conservation legal work and could ultimately result in increased legal protection for key tracts of ecologically valuable land across Wisconsin.
- Prepares and submits paperwork for land dedication to WI DNR.
- May assist with land acquisition paperwork and processing.
- Interacts with colleagues and partners, including TNC land protection and legal staff and DNR staff.
- Works under close or infrequent supervision.
- Work environment involves only infrequent exposure to disagreeable elements and minor physical exertion and/or strain.
- Must be either currently enrolled or graduated within 12 months from a graduate or undergraduate degree program with coursework in law, natural resources, and/or related field.
- High school diploma or GED and 6 months of related experience.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Knowledge of common software applications (such as Microsoft Word and Excel and web browsers).
- Attention to detail.
- Knowledge of legal description of property and real estate concepts will be helpful.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural experience appreciated.
- Experience drafting and editing documents.
- Ability to work in a team environment.