The High Divide Headwaters Hydrology Technician & Restoration Assistant works with the Montana Freshwater team to develop, implement, and monitor watershed restoration projects.
The Hydrology Technician will conduct streamflow groundwater monitoring, willow planting, vegetation monitoring, weed mapping and management, and other on-the-ground land and water stewardship projects. This position offers a unique opportunity to be involved in a collaborative, science-based, applied conservation program, and to gain experience in a wide variety of land and water issues. The Hydrology Technician is supervised by the Freshwater Director and works closely with Conservancy staff and other partners to develop and plan projects throughout the field season and over a wide geographic area.
- Supervises no staff, but may help plan and direct preserve work groups, including staff or volunteers.
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Requires considerable physical exertion and/or muscular strain.
- May require long hours in isolated settings.
- Makes day to day decisions as delegated by supervisor.
- May work under infrequent supervision.
- High school diploma or GED and 1 year’s training in science-related field or related experience in land management.
- Experience recognizing plant and animal species.
- Experience operating various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g. brush cutter, chainsaw, UTV, ATV or OHV, two-way radio, or similar equipment).
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (e.g. First Aid, CPR, herbicide or pesticide application).
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1 - 2 years’ experience in land management or related field.
- Experience working with or knowledge of natural systems.
- Ability to obtain driver’s license and maintain a good driving record.
- Ability to follow instructions from colleagues/coworkers/team members.
- PC and/or mobile device familiarity, including database knowledge or understanding.