The Senior Financial Analyst is a subject matter expert in financial, analytical, operational, and systems matters and serves as a resource to senior leadership & the entire organization as applicable. S/he works closely with functions in TNC organizational units, and demonstrates leadership establishing and maintaining all contacts, provides professional services to leadership and outsources relationships necessary to support the effective functioning of his/her program support responsibilities. The Senior Financial Analyst would have the ability/experience to successfully manage the finance/operations leadership function in any business unit at TNC. At the same time, s/he has the perspective and insight needed to strategically view and interpret financial information about the organization.
The Senior Financial Analyst is specifically responsible for monitoring and evaluating financial matters relating to assigned regions/divisions and business units (BUs), as well as financial analysis for the entire corporation and affiliates. Additionally, s/he provides programs with appropriate support to ensure that financial planning, budgeting, and financial reporting are well done. S/he works closely with the TNC senior leaders, the Finance Management Team, Divisional and Regional leads, program leads, and others on financial reporting, targeted financial analysis, and other financially related work. The Senior Financial Analyst is a member of the Financial Planning, Reporting and Analysis Team and that serves the whole organization through consulting, advising, strategic thinking and financial reporting, planning and management services. Below are among the key functions s/he is expected to competently perform, though specific assignments will move around based on needs at the time:
- Highly diversified work involves participation in the formulation and evaluation of broad policies and/or long-term programs, or making decisions involving complex financial analysis.
- Design, implement, and direct multiple complex projects, setting and meeting deadlines, and ensuring program accountability.
- Ability to think strategically, creating competitive strategies to ensure that systems/processes are efficient and leverage available technology.
- Acts as a resource to others to solve problems.
- Acts independently within broad program goals. Work proven through consultation, influence, and agreement with leaders rather than by directives of superiors.
- Utilizes influence to produce results rather than through direct authority.
- Makes decisions and recommendations based on analysis, experience, and judgement.
RESPONSIBILITY/OVERSIGHT – FINANCIAL & SUPERVISORY:
- May supervise administrative and professional staff with responsibility for performance management, training, and development.
- May serve as a team leader for assigned projects and coordinate the work of others.
- Responsibility and accountability for helping Financial Planning, Reporting and Analysis meet strategic goals and objectives.
- Responsibility for supporting and advising Senior Management as they execute their responsibilities to ensure sound financial operations, appropriate capital management, and quality financial plans.
- Collaborate in the development of corrective actions where necessary.
- Works effectively in high-tension situations and maintain composure under pressure.
- Works with and communicates effectively with staff, senior leadership, and partners, including financial/legal advisors. Works in partnership with others in a collaborative or advisory role.
- Effectively negotiates towards mutually acceptable solutions when involved in complex negotiations.
- Creates and communicates a compelling vision; practices the Conservancy’s core values.
- Solicits program support through clear written and verbal communications, including proposal writing and other written materials.
- Commands attention; can change tactics midstream and manage group processes during presentations or discussions.
- Conceive, design, and direct complex and diversified projects and new programs/initiatives, ensuring program accountability and organization-wide goals are achieved.
- When needed, assist in the negotiations for complex, high profile or sensitive agreements.
- Exercise leadership in strategic and tactical matters, work with fellow leaders to establish and evaluate policies and/or long-term programs when they include such factors as internal investment, debt reduction, and allocations to TNC’s highest priorities.
- Lead strategic initiatives through collaboration with senior-level stakeholders to enhance performance in accordance with short and long-term objectives.
- Provide timely and accurate financial reports and analysis for senior leadership supported by accurate and sound financial information.
- Advise BUs, Senior Leaders and Trustees about financial status and strategy, particularly around consequential financial decisions.
- Produce forecasts and narrative analysis related thereto, making challenging projections and assumptions when appropriate.
- Participate in all aspects of execution of the budget/planning process, including development of strategy, materials and training as well as analysis, advisement, and coordination with the Finance Resource Center re: staff training, timing/instructions. Provide analysis for review, presentations, and support for decision-making.
- Lead budget preparation with field staff, advising and reviewing BU budgets,
- Conduct ongoing review and monitoring of budgets, forecasts, sustainability plans, and strategic financial plans of BUs, Regions/Divisions, and corporate-wide operations as required.
- Engage in recruitment of new finance staff.
- Develop advisory role and relationships with DFOs and other Senior Leaders supported.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of sophisticated financial models.
- Maintain confidentiality of frequently sensitive and emotionally charged information.
- Responsible and accountable for meeting strategic goals and objectives.
- Work long hours and weekends when needed to meet deadlines.
- Willingness to travel domestically and/or internationally 10-50% of the time.
- Work environment involves only infrequent exposure to disagreeable elements and minor physical exertion and/or strain.
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance or Accounting and 7 years related work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working with GAAP accounting principles and practices.
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills including advanced problem-solving capabilities.
- Experience conceiving, developing, and managing multiple projects and strategic goals in a large, complex organization.
- Experience in presenting complex accounting or technical issues to diverse audiences in a concise and persuasive manner and able to clearly communicate a problem as well as offer potential solutions based on sound analysis and data.
- Experience working with Accounting systems, relational databases and proficiency with advanced Excel tools such as advanced formulas for data manipulation, tables and pivot tables.
- Experience developing budgets, performing high level financial analysis and recommending corrective action as appropriate.
- Experience acting as a consultant/advisor to senior executives.
- Experience designing, implementing, and directing multiple complex projects.
- MBA, CPA and/or CIA.
- Experience recruiting, supervising and developing staff.
- Superb communication and presentation skills.
- Service oriented. Courteous, personable, tactful and experienced dealing effectively with all levels of staff.
- Non-Profit experience preferred
- Experience using high levels of patience, perseverance and political savvy for managing inclusive processes in a highly decentralized environment.
- Ability to foster an environment of creativity and professional growth.
- Technical expert on complex accounting/financial issues
- Extensive management experience including ability to motivate, lead, set objectives, and manage performance of a large multi-disciplinary team.
- Expert knowledge of current and evolving trends in relevant discipline.
- Multi-lingual skills and/or multi-cultural experience appreciated.