The Director, Product Development, Debt Conversions will report to the Deputy Managing Director, Blue Bonds in NatureVest. Debt Conversions involve negotiating the restructuring of a country’s sovereign debt using investment capital and credit enhancement to create funding to finance marine conservation and related activities in the country.
The Director’s role shall be to lead the development and implementation of debt conversions primarily in the Africa region, but potentially in other regions across the globe where Debt Conversions opportunities can be identified. S/he will engage in all aspects of capital-raising including the soliciting of potential investors and donors, and the management of investor relationships. Key responsibilities shall also include: identifying and negotiating key partnership arrangements, developing financial models (including the incorporation of blended finance and credit enhancement mechanisms), performing due diligence and risk assessments / mitigation, developing internal and external materials, and structuring and closing the deals.
The Director, Product Development Debt Conversions will lead the development and implementation of debt conversions in Africa and potentially globally. The Director will collaborate with Worldwide Office teams, field staff, The Nature Conservancy senior management, including NatureVest, Africa and other regions, and partner organizations, such as multi-lateral and bi-lateral institutions, donors, investors, and national governments. The Director will also bring sophisticated business, financial, and economic analysis, and expertise, including financial modeling, pitch deck creation, due diligence, deal structuring and closing, to the design and implementation of this work. Initial focus of the position will be to bring to close existing potential debt conversions identified in Africa as well as identify additional countries in the region to eventually develop debt conversions.
- Implements and manages development of new and existing debt conversions in Africa and potentially globally.
- Manages and implements multiple deals in the Africa and/or other regions.
- Travel associated with this position is expected to be approximately 40% of the time.
- Ensures the programmatic work is collaborative and well-integrated across the organization, including staff from NatureVest, Africa and other regions.
- Makes independent decisions based on analysis, experience and judgment.
- Ensures programmatic commitments, TNC policies and procedures, financial standards and legal requirements are met and managed for compliance.
- May direct or participate in negotiations for complex, high profile or sensitive agreements associated with the debt conversions.
- Bachelor's degree and 7 years’ experience in a private sector environment, such as management consulting and investment banking, or with a leading conservation organization or government entity, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience developing and implementing complex projects and strategic initiatives in an unstructured environment.
- Experience leading and managing large scale projects, including working with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience negotiating complex agreements.
- Multi-lingual skills (French, Portuguese, or Arabic) and/or multi-cultural experience.
- Strong team player who can build relationships and work collaboratively across the organization and with Conservancy partners.
- Experience working with governments, multi-lateral, and/or bi-lateral institutions.
- Ability to successfully develop and implement complex projects in an unstructured environment.
- Outstanding analytical and project management capabilities.
- Superior written and oral communications.
- International work experience desirable. Experience working in Africa preferred.
- MBA or similar degree with significant coursework in finance or economics.
- The Nature Conservancy is committed to diversity and encourages candidates with diverse and nontraditional backgrounds to apply.