The Piping Plover Management Tech. is responsible for the implementation of plover habitat management projects and piping plover nest monitoring at TNC’s John E. Williams Preserve and USFWS Audubon National Wildlife Refuge. Position will begin early-April and end early- September. There is potential for this position to be re-hired (April-Sept) over the next two years.
- Complete annual monitoring of piping plover populations, nest success, and fledgling success on the John E. Williams Preserve and Audubon National Wildlife Refuge.
- Participate in the collection of research data on plover habitat enhancement projects.
- Contribute to a final report summarizing plover monitoring and management activities.
- Will be required to complete and obtain a North Dakota Pesticide Applicators License (if not already obtained)
- May be required to submit a Background Check for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Associates Degree in natural resources; environmental studies or equivalent combination of education and 6 months’ experience.
- Experience managing and prioritizing tasks from multiple sources.
- Multi-lingual and/or multicultural experience appreciated.
- Completed at least two years in natural resource management field of study. Knowledge and field experience in ornithology highly preferred.
- Ability to perform with a minimum of supervision and work cooperatively with a wide range of people.
- Ability to operate all-terrain vehicles, motor boats, 4x4 trucks, trailering, and complete outdoor work using hand tools.
- Experience with bird monitoring and identification preferred.
- Willing to work long and irregular hours under adverse environmental conditions.
- Willingness to live and work in an isolated rural environment and share living quarters and travel frequently.
- Ability to collect and analyze data and produce written reports.
- Current North Dakota Pesticide Applicators License preferred.
- Current Department of Interior Motorboat Operator Certification Course (MOCC) preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to be a team member and work toward a common goal